Eating vegetarian in Pattaya? / RAVE Diet

Tips, advice and news related to life in Pattaya

Topic author
richey

Eating vegetarian in Pattaya? / RAVE Diet

Unread post by richey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 am

Hello,

I recently watched the video 'Eating 2nd Edition' and it 'hit me'. I never expected myself to develop interest in turning vegetarian, but now I want to give it a try. It's not what they tell about the yet another method to 'cure cancer' or to get rid of diabetes, it's primarily because I seem to feel or realize that eating muscle and fat with every meal will mess up my arteries and sooner or later, I will end up in hospital with a stroke or heart attack (and of course, losing a few pounds would never hurt). The video explains just too well how our change in eating habits during the past decades made people more fat and more sick.

Now, while I'm still not yet ready to cut down on my 'cake eating addiction' I'm afraid :roll:, I would really like to try to go without any animal meat or fat for at least 6 days a week. I started a bit less than one week ago with that and was actually somewhat enthusiastic about starting such a project here in Thailand with all its wonderful food, combination of spices, exotic vegetables and fruit etc. --- just to find that on your typical market or the typical Thai hole-in-the-wall restaurant, 95% of the dishes seem to contain either chicken, pork, seafood or fish (according to the RAVE* approach, ANY kind of meat, even fish or chicken adds about the same amount of protein and fat to our bodies, so it's better to completely avoid any kind of meat)! Just last night, for example: every food stall offered a 'meat palette' to be cooked or fried together with various kinds of spices and other additives to be placed on top of a load of rice or noodles when finished. In one stall with these pre-cooked meals, of the ~20 dishes that were available, only one (1) was purely vegetarian without any meat. :shock: So I ended up with a plate of rice and these nicely done, but a bit paltry cooked potatoes on top...

Does anyone of you have experience about where to go for good, but 'street priced' vegetarian food in Pattaya? I don't want to hit an upscale restaurant every night just for the purpose and think there must be something available, I just don't know where to go right now -- most probably because I never specifically looked out for it.

All helpful feedback welcome.

Thanks, R.

* RAVE = No Refined foods - No Animal foods - No Vegetable oils - No Exceptions & Exercise
Book: Mike Anderson, "RAVE Diet & Lifestyle" 3rd Edition, 2009