Portrait of Pattaya in press

Tips, advice and news related to life in Pattaya

Topic author
ren43210

Portrait of Pattaya in press

Unread post by ren43210 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Everyone.
Great website,first class, well done.

I have uploaded a recent article which appeared in the UK "Daily Mail" dated June 17th.
The article clearly portrays Pattaya in a very negative view, having owned at Star beach for 6 years this is disappointing.
Yes we all know about Beach road and Walking street activities, but there is so much more to life in Pattaya and it's a shame that Pattaya get only press of this nature.
Best Regards
Ren
Co owner
Attachments
DailyMail2.jpg
DailyMail1.jpg

richey

Unread post by richey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi 'ren43210' ;-),

thanks for your nice feedback about our new website! I allowed myself to move your posting to the 'Living in Pattaya' section as the article you posted may be interesting for some to comment on.

The article is very sensational and one-sided indeed - obviously, the (btw, female) author wasn't interested in giving a balanced view of the city at all, but just focused on the so-called 'dirty sex business', aiming at putting the readers into a state of utmost shock and moral disdain... between the lines, there is all the patronizing and moralizing I like so much in discussions with know-it-all's like her.

Funnily enough, I had stumbled upon an article about Pattaya from 2005 recently - published in one of the major Austrian newspapers and also written by a female author - who reported about 'the most beautiful beaches in Thailand' :shock: and about all the fantastic changes that are going on in this city :? . At some points I had asked myself if it was really Pattaya she was writing about. :roll: :lol: However, this article might have been one reason why we see many more families, women etc. coming to Pattaya since a couple of years. Well, but then rumors say that a remarkable percentage of these women enjoy Pattaya's nightlife as well, and it didn't just happen one time that I have seen parents taking their children into Gogo bars...

I am confident that there wouldn't be such an enourmous number of expats living in Pattaya if it would just consist of bars as the article suggests. Of course, when only talking to drunk Britons on Walking Street or Beach road which make up about 0.2% of Pattaya's size, it is hard to not get responses that are good 'Daily Mail' material. 8-)